Position Type: Related Service Providers/Occupational Therapist
Location: BOCES Wide
Division: Special Education classrooms in Cattaraugus & Allengany County School Districts
Supervisor: Special Education Supervisor
DESCRIPTION: The work involves responsibility for performing occupational therapy casework in a program designed to meet the needs of individuals referred to the program through the use of such activities as creative, manual, industrial, educational, recreational, social, and self-help activities in order to enable individuals to achieve optimal levels of self-help and productivity. The work may be carried out in community, school, hospital, or nursing home settings in accordance with written prescriptions or a referral from a physician who provides medical direction. Supervision may be exercised over the work of Occupational Therapy Assistants, Aides, and clerical employees. An Occupational Therapist does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Plans programs and performs procedures involving activities such as manual arts and crafts, practice in function, prevocational, vocational and homemaking skills, and activities of daily living;
- Conducts sensitizer, educational, recreational, and social activities designed to help individuals regain physical or mental functioning or adjust to handicaps;
- Evaluates the degree of function and disability of individuals unless contraindicated by professional judgement or a physician’s notes;
- Develops a treatment plan based upon doctor’s findings, short- and long-term rehabilitation goals, and in accordance with the physician’s diagnosis, prescription, or referral;
- Records evaluation, re-evaluations, progress notes, consultations, and summaries;
- May participate in the selection of personnel in the occupational therapy program and assign their duties and provide supervision;
- Observes occupational therapy activities to evaluate staff effectiveness in the provision of service and to evaluate the effectiveness of the activity in providing the necessary therapeutic services for patients;
- Fabricates and applies hand splints, trains individuals in the use of adaptive assistive devices and/or selfhelp techniques to achieve maximum independence;
- Participates with other personnel in the formulation of total care plans;
- Confers periodically with a physician regarding facets of care and related activities;
- Develops or assists in the development of occupational therapy policies and procedure;
- May perform in specialties such as pediatric or gerontologist occupational therapy;
- May conduct training or participate in training medical and nursing students, patient’s parents and families, patient’s teacher and others in occupational therapy techniques and objectives;
- May maintain program records including but not limited to the service budget, statistical reports of the frequency and type of treatment, and related records.
All employees of CA BOCES are eligible to join the New York State Retirement pension plan system. Permanent employees have access to a rich Health Insurance plan with Vision, Telemedicine, tuition reimbursement, and paid time off.