Position: Case Manager/Financial Aide Specialist - Provisional
Division: Workforce Development and Community Learning
Supervisor: Principal for CTE/Workforce Development and Community Learning
Provisional Appointment: The successful candidate will be hired pending the appropriate examination and results. Permanent appointment requires successful competitive testing and placement, thru the Civil Service examination process.
Distinguishing Features of the Class: The work involves assisting with the intake procedures for GED students, communicating workforce development and community learning with program participants and reviewing financial aid opportunities available for those students. The incumbent will be required to attend trainings by the NYS Department of Education and stay current with their credentials as a Financial Aid Specialist. The work is performed under the administrative direction of the Principal for Career and Technical Education/Workforce Development and Community Learning Office. A CASE Manager/Financial Aide Specialist Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities:
- Complete intake procedures with all students attending GED Test Prep programs based on NYSED requirements.
- Perform periodic check-ins with High School Equivalency (HSE) students to assess any challenges they are facing attending classes and offer solution (transportation, other class times/locations, etc.
- Perform exit interviews with GED participants and help the students with planning for the future.
- Work with adult students in person, classroom settings and via phone and email
- Communicate job opportunities to students periodically during the program but especially near the end of the program.
- For longer programs (e.g. Adult CTE, Dental Assisting), perform periodic check-ins with each individual student to discuss the program and any challenges they are experiencing and help find solutions to those challenges.
- Meet with students to discuss Financial Aid and other funding opportunities.
- Assist students with completing the required information to submit for financial aid.
- Provide the Business Office the information they need to drawdown financial aid for each student.
- Complete required paperwork for student drops or additional funding as needed.
- Attend required trainings for Case Manager and similar programs and stay current with credentials as a Financial Aide Specialist.
- Assist with the compilation of data for the annual reporting for adult students.
Full Performance Knowledges, Skills, abilities, and Personal Characteristics: The individual must have strong written and verbal communication skills, must have a willingness to learn, must be able to get along with people and must have a customer service mindset.